Hardingham is a small parish made up of the hamlets of Dane Moor, Low Street, Manson Green and High Common. Once the township of Flockthorpe included the village of Hardingham. The daughter of the feudal lord, Sir John de Breus who lived at the Old Hall married Ralph de Camois in 1285. The village was at that time probably situated by the church and could have been abandoned during the Black Death in 1350 when many contaminated corpses were buried in the churchyard. However, other factors such as battles with invading Danes may have contributed to the decline of the population. The de Camois family may be considered founders and benefactors of the parish church as the manor was given to Stephen de Camois by Henry I in the 12thCentury. First mention of St George’s church can be found in papers dated between 1154 and 1157 when Stephen granted the Prior of Wymondham a windmill in Flockthorpe and tithes were paid to the church. The connection with the de Camois family continued for about 250 years. Other notable family benefactors have been the Earls of Arundel (15th Century), the Earls of Kimberley and, in the 20th and 21st Century the Edwards family of Hardingham Hall. The tower is the oldest remaining part of the church building, the upper part being added in the 14th Century. The nave and the window in the West Tower are 13th Century and there is considerable other window tracery which can be dated over various periods. Chequerboard and flint stonework can be seen on the east end of the church. A Sedilia, a double arched piscina and an aumbry, all probably medieval, are in the wall on the south side of the east end of the church.
The font is medieval but its oak cover was presented in 1934 as a reminder of the Rev. Stephen Walley. Coloured glass windows have been presented since the early part of the 20th Century by various members of the Edwards family. The one on the West wall commemorates Major William Edwards VC and was completed in 1912.
Considerable repairs and renovations have been made to the inside and outside of the church, but it may be possible still to see near a recess (covered by a memorial tablet on the west wall) a medieval table tomb. An old double heart stone nearby may be the burial place of the hearts of two crusaders who died in the Holy Lane (two crosses in low relief). Also in evidence were the remains of a sundial on the south west buttress (7’ up), these have perhaps been obliterated by the latest renovations to the tower (1984). A porch on the right of the door is a base for a Holy water stoup. A niche in the flint works is a possible position of a statue of the patron saint, St. George. A Bell made by John Brand was placed in the tower in 1649.
A mound of earth to the south is know as St. George’s mount, so call by the Rev. Walker Whitier, who annually entertained the community on St. George’s day, April 23rd, when a group of young people danced around a tree reciting verses.
Around this tree of trees we go in pageant, guise and glee,
Which drank with joy our mystic streams
All Hail! The Holem Tree (Holm oak)
Here rose the tree in days of yor, thus will the Bard recount
And there the ancient bounds are traced
Here stood St. George’s mount…….
Over 50 species of wild flowers were recorded on a day in July 1984
New porch gates, made by local cabinetmaker Peter Halstead and paid for by fundraising and donations were added in 2000 to celebrate the Millennium.
In 2004 some of the pews were re arranged behind the font to create an area for socialising after services, especially Christmas and Harvest Festival. In 2011 an extension was added housing a kitchenette and a toilet. Whilst the building work was being carried out two complete tiles and several pieces were found, now believed to be medieval.